Thursday, May 14, 2015

May 12, 2015 State of the City

How many attended the State of the City address for Bay last year and how many reservations for the May 12, 2015 State of the City? Out of curiosity, last week I emailed this question to the executive assistant at the West Shore Chamber of Commerce.

I am aware State of the City lunches are essentially Chamber of Commerce events. The Bay Village lunch includes city employees and the city pays for their reservation. Local business leaders attend along with few, if any residents.  It seems to be a somewhat select audience. Time allows for networking.  The Mayor presents the city in a positive light. It looks like a well done and beautiful delivery of Bay’s accomplishments with a promise of continued good things to come–as it should be. (links to Bay Village State of the City address below)

Venues and times of the year vary from city to city as there are no steadfast rules, but they are Chamber promoted events and the city’s best is highlighted. Some luncheons include council member presentations or panels of speakers and some take time for questions. However it is presented, it is positive for a group of people that are, for the most part, already positive about the city.

It should be good public relations. It may drive business leaders to locate in Bay. It’s politics.

As to my question of attendance… Upon receipt of my email I was asked to call to discuss. I did not want a discussion - just a number or two since I had no idea if we were talking 20, 40, or 200 attendees. But, hoping I might learn something, I called.  During a polite conversation about who I am, why I was asking and what my thoughts were, I was told twice this would have to be turned over to the Executive Director since they had never been asked this question before. I was told he would call me to discuss. He never called. Nonetheless, I learned this year’s event had approximately 70 in attendance. Thank you, you know who, for the count.

http://www.cityofbayvillage.com/media/208023/2014_state_of_the_city.pdf

http://www.cityofbayvillage.com/media/256835/2015_state_of_the_city.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment