Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Council Votes to Accept Sculpture Donation

Paul Vincent: Did we pour the concrete? Scott Thomas: Yes.
Vincent expresses concern over the safety.

Mayor: We can take a look at it. I also wanted to mention when this got installed, I just wanted to say, it was installed without my knowledge and Scott’s. We try to foster creativity and initiative down the ranks and I think somebody did that and they forgot about the process that we have at the top. So, it gives us an opportunity for a little training and we can certainly take a look at stabilizing that.

Dave Tadych: Who picked the spot?
Mayor: Well Dave we don’t know.

Paul Vincent: If we do accept it can we decide on a different locale? It’s up to us right?
Mayor: Yes. You can talk about what you want to do.

Me: I was at last week’s meeting and I listened to the recording three times and what was said this evening about the sculpture and what was said last week are different stories. I am a little upset by it because I think it is indicative of how we get around things. I don’t know which version is true but I certainly hope that - because in either version procedure was bypassed – council holds somebody accountable for what happened with the sculpture.

Another audience member: We know that someone actually put the statue and the concrete around. Have you talked to those gentlemen? Scott Thomas: What we have done, I’ve had a short conversation and I’m still backtracking to find out how myself and the mayor didn’t know about it.

I don’t think it is any longer a discussion about taking the sculpture down or where to move it or by who and how it got placed as much as it is to acknowledge that no matter who ends up taking the fall - the ultimate responsibility is on the city, “the top”, and the violation of the ordinance. Yet, the resolution last night was accepted by 5 of 7 Council/ Cahoon Park Trustees. Karen Lieske and Tom Henderson voted no.

The resolution reads, in part, “The Council hereby accepts the donation of a wooden sculpture to the City of Bay Village Recreation Department with an estimated value in excess of $100.00.” I confirmed this morning that the ordinance has not changed. If the donation is “in excess of $100.00 it shall be submitted to Council…or forwarded by boards or agencies receiving such offer.”


As the mayor stated last week she was approached by the artist. She looked at it. It was on her to “submit to Council” or the Cahoon Park Trustees. It no longer really matters if you believe some service dept. people acted on their own which is probably highly unlikely. What matters is the city ignored the ordinance and the council members that voted yes - also ignored the ordinance.

1 comment:

  1. there is no way that some rogue city employees decided to put this thing up in a burst of creativity and independent thinking. They don't work like that. All jobs have a work order and a time sheet. I bet no one from the city even did it.

    ReplyDelete